ShopCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dreamfeed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
michelle View Drop Down
Not A Member Yet?
Not A Member Yet?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreamfeed
    Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 11:04am
Hi

I have been using your book and routines with my oldest child since he was born 3 years ago. I now have a new little one who is 8 weeks old. I have tried to put her on the relevant routines but am still unable to give her a dreamfeed at the set time. I have tried giving her the feed from both the breast and the bottle however she will not open her mouth and when I assist her to open her mouth she won't suck. She feeds well at all other times.

I am feeling really frustrated as your book does not give any hints as to how to dreamfeed. It implies that they will just naturally feed but she won't. My other child took to the dreamfeeds with no problems.

How do I get her to dreamfeed?
Are there some babies who won't dreamfeed?
Can I still use your routines if she won't dreamfeed?

Please help me I don't know what to do!
Michelle
belle13 View Drop Down
Cheeky Monkey's on the Move Buddy Group
Cheeky Monkey's on the Move Buddy Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belle13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 12:52pm
Hi Michelle,

My LO now 18 weeks was the same, where as my first just did it without a question! Many other bubs I know of also took a little while to get the hang of it. With Tom I just woke him up - unswaddled him, changed nappy half way to re- wake him up as he would fall back asleep and not feed well. So not really a dreamfeed at first but over time he got the hang of it and I no longer had to wake him to get him to have a good feed.

Hope this helps!

Belle
Mum to Sammy View Drop Down
SOS Silver Online Advice Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum to Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 1:44pm
Hi Michelle,

My LO 16 months didn't really ever have a dream feed maybe about a month or so after I started the routines ( he was 4 months old) I used to try and wake him up but he never wanted it no did he wake properly and I gave up in the end...he slept right through.

I think some bubs just dont wont as much milk as others..

hope that helps...its soo long ago now I forgot if you need to up the milk feeds during the day but i am pretty sure he just took what he wanted  and he slept fine. I followed all other aspects of the routine and he thrived...he was always longer and bigger for his age and still eats like a bird...go figure!

Bronte
michelle View Drop Down
Not A Member Yet?
Not A Member Yet?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 8:35pm
Thank you for the feedback.

I will keep trying and see if she starts to accept it. I did try to wake her but this had very detrimental affects as she then woke every 2-3 hours for the rest of the night where at the moment she is only waking once or twice a night.

Putting some milk on her lips also didn't work. I am just worried that if I don't get her to have a DF then the routines won't work.

Michelle

maddison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 10:30pm
Hi michelle
My maddison (now 12mths) also wouldnt initially take the dream feed - breast or bottle. I too then resulted in waking her by unswaddling and also changed her nappy half way (after one side) to re-wake her. After some time doing this she began to feed without having to wake her. This initial technique worked well for us.
Even without a dream feed if your LO wakes before seven am for the feed just put her back down (even if its only for 40minutes say if she wakes at 6.20am) and start your day at 7am then your routine will always be on track.
As bron said a few babies do well without the dream feed and their routines still work.
I would try waking her for a few consecutive nights. Sorry to hear you had a bad night when you tried this ... hopefully it may have been a co-incidence?
Good luck
Kel

~Nicole~ View Drop Down
Moderator and Admin
Moderator and Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Nicole~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 1:49pm

Hi Michelle:

Thankyou for your post and welcome to the Save Our Sleep® online advice area. I see you have receive some great advice from the wonderful parents in the online advice area, however the best way for you to receive more help in Tizzie’s routines and advice is to join our online advice area with a full membership rather than the limited ‘guest’ access. 

The Save Our Sleep® online advice area offers a friendly, supportive online community where parents and Tizzie help other parents with baby advice. You can chat to other parents, carers and friends with similar parenting styles, and ask your questions there. You may also find your question is already covered in previous forum threads.

Once you join our friendly community you will be amazed at how fast you solve your problems and make friends

The Save Our Sleep® online advice area is closely monitored and any incorrect or misleading advice is corrected. There are two membership options being a full membership or a READ ONLY membership. The annual fee for these memberships enables Save Our Sleep® to continue offering this baby advice service and to maintain a safe online community for all parents.  To join the online advice area please  Click Here

All the best

Nicole

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.