ShopCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guidance on Feeding Book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sha View Drop Down
Read Only Subscriber
Read Only Subscriber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guidance on Feeding Book
    Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 10:39am
Hi there, 
My baby is 17 weeks old
fully breastfed with one bottle feed a day
I double pump after 7am bottle feed
Now on day 3 of starting solids (only one teaspoon of Rafferty's cereal mixed with breastmilk at 12pm)

Need some guidance re the Feeding Book below.

1. pg 142:Example of bottle-fed and five months old:
"7am milk feed: 180ml formula
8am breakfast: 80ml formula mixed into her breakfast...."

My example- After offering both breasts at 7am, I would not have another 80ml of breastmilk to mix. I will need 80ml x 3 meals= 240ml per day of expressed milk. This means that I have to pump at least 3 times a day to have sufficient ebm for his 3 meals? 

Will mixing formula milk reduce my overall supply? Since I am still offering 5 main milk feeds, the 3 meals of 80ml each can be supplementary? But that means I have to introduce formula milk very soon? 

2. pg 157: When Tizzie mention "cube" or "portion" in the book, is it 30ml?

3. pg 157: Days Seven to Nine
"At breakast give her rice creel mixed with..."
What amount of rice cereal should I give? 30 ml?
How amount of carrot puree should be given? 3 cubes?

4. pg 161: "Four months- Three cubes of fruit mixed with rice cereal and 60ml of breastmilk...."
will freeze purees in Wean Meister pods. After thawing in fridge or microwave, do I need to heat up fruit puree to lukewarm temperature or serve cold? How about frozen vegetable or meat puree?

does the breastmilk need to be heated up before mixing with puree and cereal? Can I microwave?

5. Does frozen puree have same nutritional benefit as freshly cooked puree?

Many thanks and looking forward to your reply.

Jools View Drop Down
SOS Coach
SOS Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 2:57pm
Hi Sha

Welcome to the forums :)

I am just going through your post now and will pop back soon with some help

Catherine
Jools View Drop Down
SOS Coach
SOS Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2015 at 3:13pm
Hi Sha

The most important thing with solids is to make sure you are feeding until full so each time your baby finishes what you have offered make more until they refuse and then make a bigger serve the next time. So you may find your baby eats more or less than whats in the feeding book. These amounts are just a guide. But yes you may well need more milk than you currently have. You can express after the 7 am and 11 am feeds as long as done by the end of the hr to get what you need. If you can't get enough or you cant express as often as you need to then you can use a stage one formula in the meals. This is fine and wont affect supply. Tizzie recommends a2 formula

Once you have introduced a food for 3 days you can then feed until full with it so I would make up say 50mls of ebm mixed with rice cereal to make the desired consistency and offer until she refuses. If she eats it all then make up more. You will start to get a feel for how much she eats so you can make up appropriate amounts so you have enough to feed until full

When introducing a food for the first time like carrot then you would give one cube - 30ml and then after the 3 days feed until full with it

I would thaw food in the fridge then heat over a saucepan of warm water to the desired temp. You will have to play around to see how your baby likes it.
Any puree containing meat will need to be heated to piping hot then cooled down to the desired temp

Yes I would warm the ebm up to the temp you want it. I wouldn't use the microwave as it can destroy nutrients and create hot spots. Alternatively you can heat the food warmer and use the breastmilk to cool it when you add it

Yes frozen puree will have the same nutritional value as fresh cooked puree. I would just defrost in the fridge or over water on the stove for the best results

I hope that helps

Catherine
Sha View Drop Down
Read Only Subscriber
Read Only Subscriber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 9:47am
Hi Catherine, thanks so much for your reply and well noted all the advice. Have been busy cooking and feeding little one 6 courses a day. Feel as though he's drinking and eating all day during his awake time and very little play time, do you reckon we are feeding him too slowly?

Today is the 9th day of introducing solids. I understand that the feeding amounts for 4 months is 3 cubes of savoury followed by 3 cubes of sweet, however he has been eating only 1.5 cube (45ml) of each course per meal (which is only half of the recommendation). Is this ideal? Not sure if he's eating enough for a 4.5 month old weighing 6.5kg.

I noticed if I gave him 75ml savoury (wean meister pod size) , he is able to finish it but could only eat 15ml of sweet after that. Should I reduce the savoury portion to 45ml so he can maybe eat 45ml of sweet so 90ml altogether? He seem to prefer savoury over sweet during all meals therefore I am not sure if he is full or choosy? He turn his head or does not swallow or push food out using tongue- that's when I stop feeding thinking he's full.

I cooked his second batch of apple puree using Thermomix. Turns out the puree colour was way darker than the first batch cooked using steam then blend/puree. Does the darker colour indicate overcooking and hence less nutrients? 

Also would appreciate if you can share on the best way to bring home cooked food when we are out (with or without microwave). We are mixing A2 formula to solids. I have purchased the Foogo Thermos and Avent storage containers (works well with Avent bottle/food warmer).

Thanks Catherine and looking forward to your thoughts, have a great Sunday.

Jools View Drop Down
SOS Coach
SOS Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 4:12pm
HI

It does feel like you are feeding them all the time when they first start. They do get quicker at it. They do like being fed nice and fast so you can try that and see if it helps

He is just starting solids so he will build up his amounts. The most important thing is that you feed each course until full. The feeding guide amounts are just a guide and some babies will eat more and some less
Please feed his savoury until he refuses before moving onto his sweet. He will find a balance but always offer each course until he refuses

It may be the apples you used were different or they cooked more. Its hard to know. As long as it tastes fine it will be ok. Im sure you will get the hang of how long to cook it

I always heated the food and put it in the foogoo thermos and then added the ebm/formula and rice cereal when serving

Catherine

~Kate~ View Drop Down
Moderator and Admin
Moderator and Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Kate~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:54pm
Hi Sha :

Just a quick little post to let you know that Tizzie recommends pre-heating the thermos with boiling water before you add the food to it, that way it will stay warm for a lot longer :)

Kind regards,
Kate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic