ShopCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pram Sleeping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mamakudowski View Drop Down
SOS New Online Advice Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamakudowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pram Sleeping
    Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:49am
Hi, firstly I would like say to say what a great idea the forum is for mums.  I look at this site all the time and have found sleep issues with my third child so much easier to deal with.  Having the advice which is given by Tizzie so consistently reiterated is wonderful!%3cmile

One thing that I have always had problems with (with all 3 children!!) is getting them to sleep when out, especially in the pram.  I would love to have the definitive Tizzie word on getting them to sleep in the pram.  I have posted a couple of questions on the forum about this but I think it seems to be an issue with most mums.

It would  be great to have an update to the book on this as it can be a real pain when baby sleeps only for short time, when it should be a big sleep or if they wont go to sleep at all.

Thanks for the great site and advice and I look forward to reading any extra advice on this problem.

Claire
Amber View Drop Down
SOS Coach
SOS Coach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 4:39am
HI Claire,

I know you asked for Tizzie to give you some advice, but i thought i'd let you know my tips. My son is 6months old and sleeps sooo well in the pram - i usually (9/10) have to wake him for his milk feed whether it's noisy or quiet, at playgroup, a park, shopping centre, a playcentre, the gym creche or a friends house!

When did you start trying to get bub to sleep in the pram? We started from day 1 so he is really used to it i think that helps.

I also always keep the blanket over the pram (we have the phil and teds so often the toddler seat is on top of his lie down seat so it's always nice and dark).

I make sure he is in the same bedding as he would be in his cot - but am catious if it's a hot day and we're outside that he isn't too hot or on the other hand if there's a breeze i add another blanket, and always put him to sleep with his comforters.

I guess my main tip is if he see/hear bub wake leave them to resettle and they will soon get the message.

Also I never ever rock the pram - unless we're walking. I have aways just put it in a corner and walked away.

Hope I've helped - I was always too scared with evie to muck up her routine and never left the house for her sleeps but baby#2 I was determined to get out and about - believe me they can do it!! Oh and also i usually go out for his morning sleep so if he does happen to have a short one he can make up for it in his cot at lunch time.

Cheers,

Amber

~Tizzie~ View Drop Down
Moderator and Admin
Moderator and Admin
Tizzie Hall Save Our Sleep

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Tizzie~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 10:24pm

Hi Claire and welcome to the forums,

I see Amber has given you some great advice and has said exactly what I would. I just wanted to add thank you for taking the time to say how you like the forums.  I have taken on your feedback and will add a bit out this to the book under getting out and about on a rotuine.

Kirsten S View Drop Down
SOS Bronze Online Advice Member
SOS Bronze Online Advice Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirsten S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2008 at 4:55am
Hi, my bub loves sleeping in the pram too, so thought I'd add our tip. I use the black sun shade (from cancer council store) over the pram at sleep time (whether inside or out). It has a net that he can see through and a solid black flap that I put down on the dot of sleep time (after a kiss and saying 'sleep tight')! If he wakes early, I leave the flap down until feed/get up time. He knows the routine and is happy to hang out in the pram with his chewy toy until feed time. Sometime he makes a few squarks when the flap goes down but it doesn't take him long to self settle. I also don't rock him to sleep unless we are on the move.
Do you use some sort of a cover?
Good luck!
mamakudowski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamakudowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 1:17am
Hi all, thanks so much for answering my concerns. 

Yep, I have tried it all with all three children.  We are out a lot, both during the days, (mainly mornings) but also 2 or 3 times a week at night time and the lack of sleeping and short sleeps have been a real issue.

I see your point about them making up the short sleeps later in the day and Bella does do that.  But my worry is the cumulative sleep debt from all the sleep that she misses with us being out so much.  At home she is a wonderful sleeper.  She has the full amount of sleep for days and nights and is a wonderful self settler etc (thanks Tizzie !!%3cO%3c).

I also have the Phil & Teds pram which I cover with the sun shade and a blanket over the top.  She also goes to sleep in the pram with her sleeping bag and snuggle puppy, plus blankets over her.  I have found that putting the toddler seat over her makes her very upset.  I think she hates having my 3 year old getting in and the seat sagging down near her.  The other problem that I am having is that she is now a year old and can sit up in the pram and tries to crawl out etc.  I tried to strap her in today but she managed to crawl out of the straps, not sure how though.  Cheeky thing!

Like you Amber I dont rock the pram (unless walking anyway) and try to just leave her.   I really am stumped, if we go out at night she is up till 9.30pm or 10 sometimes.  Depending we have tried taking the portacot and that didnt work either. 

Thanks so much for your ideas, if you can think of anything else, please let me know.

Claire
Myriam View Drop Down
Not A Member Yet?
Not A Member Yet?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:00pm
Hi everyone,

I am struggling with this one. My baby is 7 months old and even from an earlier age he has always struggled to go to sleep in the pram.

After using the tissue techniques he is learning the sleeping routine very well at home usually with little to no complaints and he sleeps through the night so I can’t conplain however I don’t nearly go out as much because he cannot sleep when we are out he is just too stimulated and wants to see what is going on. Mamas can you please help me. Did you just let your babies cry in the pram until eventually they stop???
Myriam View Drop Down
Not A Member Yet?
Not A Member Yet?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Myriam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
*tizzie techniques not tissue 😂
~Natalie~ View Drop Down
Save Our Sleep Moderator
Save Our Sleep Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~Natalie~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 12:09pm
Hi Myriam,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with pram sleeping. Our online advice area is actually closing down so we would recommend for you to post your question into our private support group https://www.facebook.com/groups/214124816009003/ ;
We have some amazing members who have been following Tizzie's advice for many years and i have no doubt can help you sort this out.

Regards,
Natalie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image